Skip to main content

Chenille Throw/Blanket






 I don't remember when and how exactly I found this type of quilt. It was a while ago though. I saw it made as a baby blanket and the technique and final result just drew me to it. The texture of this comes out even nicer than the pictures. It has soft and plus feel to it. I decided to make a throw out of this and the result was awesome. I miscalculated length though, so it is little shorter in height and better as lap blanket or blanket to be used when legs are folded :) We sent that one to India so that my in-laws could enjoy its warmth especially since they are a lot sensitive to cold. Much to our amusement, Ma has kept it in cupboard since she doesn't want it to get dirty :)
 

Given that the result was so good, I was looking forward to making more of these. This time I found the awesome lama print fabric in Joann and made this for friend's kid. Just couple of days ago we received message telling us about how much that kid is enjoying it.
 
Here is list of material used for throw and blanket.

Material
For Throw
For Blanket
1 Main Print Cotton Fabric
2.25 yard
1.25 yard
3 Coordinating Cotton Flannel Fabrics
2.25 yard
1.25 yard
Fabric for binding preferably cotton
0.75 yard
3/8 yard
Cotton Thread (All-purpose/Quilting), preferably of color that works with the main print. It wont be visible on the flannel side
 1000yard
500 yard
 
Note that for the throw shown in the blanket I used 1.75 yard fabric and it is short. The current one that I am working on uses the above measurement and seems like better size for the throw. Also all my fabrics were 44 inch wide.
 
The process of making this is quite simple and I think makes excellent project for beginners given how easy it is.
  • Lay the flannel fabrics on top of each other. Lay the main fabric on top of it with its wrong side facing the flannel fabrics and pin these layers together.
  • Mark diagonal line on the flannel side. If making blanket its just a line joining the opposite side corners. If making a throw (since it would be rectangle), mark on the length wise side at with the size of its width. I did this by folding on the diagonal such that the other corner is folded onto the length wise edge, mark that point and join this marked point and the folded corner to get the diagonal. Using the walking foot, make a stitch on this marked line.
  • After this point stitching would continue on the print side. Stitch all across the fabrics parallel to this stitched line using this and successor lines as guide and 1/2 inch distance between each line. This takes a while. Walking foot is not a must have but it makes life easier and stitching quality is better too because of its dual feeding nature.

  • After the stitching is complete fun part starts. Use either chenille cutter or scissors to cut through all the flannel layers. Chenille cutter makes life easier and simpler. It is also safer because it avoid cutting into main fabric by mistake. I have bought it from here.
  • At this point bind the throw/blanket from all the sides. I use machine on both the sides.


  • Admire your work :) Its almost done. Wash and dry the throw/blanket and its all ready as flannel will fray to create that soft and lush chenille side. The diagonal stitching makes that work so it is important that the stitching is done on diagonal rather that vertical or horizontal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Borgello Hearts with Feathers Quilt

I saw something similar first time while looking for quilt designs. It immediately made its place in my heart.. I was eager to make this even though I had never made any quilt before, had never done any kind of free motion or even walking foot quilting but the design was so catchy that I had to make it. While looking for how to go about this I couldn't find the pattern and the place where I found I didn't trust the site. So I got my laptop out and went back to my engineering roots :) Microsoft excel was my best buddy for many days as I put numbers 1 to 16 in each row and column by looking at the quilt from the picture. Then I adjusted column width for each column to make sure the numbers start to look like heart. Conditional programmed the colors for these 1 to 16 fabrics till I could feel ok with the color combination. Read a book on borgello quilting to realize I don't have to sit and stich rectangle by rectangle. Purchasing fabrics was interesting task too.. Af

iPad Air Cover

This year when my parents arrived here, we gifted them iPad Air and we didn't expect Baba to fall in love with it. I had to either get new cover for it or just come up with something. So below is my rough diagram that I started with: I had below fabric cuts: 15.875 in x 10.5 in Inside Fabric 15.875 in x 10.5 in Outside Fabric 3 in x 10.5 in Outside Fabric 15.875 in x 10.5 in Thick double sided interfacing (2) I cut these sizes of cardboard from moving boxes 8.125 in x 10.125 in 5 in x 10.125 in 3 in x 10.125 in 0.25 in x 10.125 in I didn't measure how much white knit elastic I used but since I had it in pieces anyways I could just reuse those scraps. These are the steps I followed: On the inside fabric with right side on top, stitch elastics as shown below. I placed iPad and saw how it fits before stitching but just pinning the elastic. It should stretch elastic a little bit for snug fit. I took the 3 in wide outside fabric and folding it with right

Fireflies on the canvas

This was something I really liked for ease of making and the way it is abstract and left to interpretation. I look at this as fireflies at night and it instantly captures my attention. My favorite gift so far for to show I care :) I made multiple of these for multiple occasions but first one ever went to my sister to show her my love when she flied down here when I needed her. Making it is fairly easy and I followed instructions from Glitter and Lights Canvas