Skip to main content

Planned Pooling Scarf and Hat





Almost 3-4 months ago on my Facebook feed I saw a post about a scarf that is created using technique called planned pooling. At first I thought how hard it would be.. I just have to follow what people have mentioned. Start with 22 chains and it will turn up as expected. But soon I realized that it wasn't that simple. I did few more attempts without putting much thought into it and result was awful. The pattern wont be consistent or wont turn out the way it was suppose to at all. At that point I conveniently blamed yarn for all the mistakes and misfortune. ) So I gave up on the blue yarn that I was working on and started with this zebra yarn.. Just after couple more failed attempts I realized this is not something I can blindly follow. So I viewed multiple videos, read few articles. That's when the concept became clear to me and I finally understood what people meant by adjusting tension and needles for he work in all those Facebook post comments. Though I was reading so much, it still felt like something that isn't quite clear to me.. So finally I decided to take help of my neighborhood friend Excel for clearing out my thoughts and plotting what needs to happen to get this pattern.

I chained through the complete color sequence and then started working on the moss stitch. (one chain and one single crochet). I completed that for complete color sequence. (you will not get through all the chains because yarn for 2 chains < yarn for 1 chain + 1 single crochet).

At this point I noted that I am getting the sequence as: 11 Black 2 Grey 6 White 2 Grey. So if I include grey as white I would have 11 Black and 10 White. Which is perfect because now if I used the row of 11 Moss stitch a row, every alternate row the sequence will need 1 stitch from the next sequence so that the colors of the stitch slide. (Because if I had 10White and 10 Black or 11 White and 11 Black the colors will stack up and make every alternate row white and black to get the stripes which was not what I was intending)

So now after getting this information I removed the white stitches that I had already done and made them on the next row. And continued the moss stitch remembering to get exactly 11 blacks and 10 whites every time. If I was not getting enough (say only 10 stitches of black+ 1 chain), I removed the few stitches of black and made them little tighter to get exactly 11 blacks. Similarly if I still had some yarn left after consuming the color sequence, I removed the few stitches and made them little loose. I tried to do the chains loose or tight rather than the single crochet part which helped maintain the look. Note that in the grand scheme these loose and tight don't appear at all but if you missed the number of stitches in the color, it will show up as then the colors wont shift as required.



Another thing I had to was to attatch the second ball of yarn correctly. When I was almost near end of first ball, I left out the whole color sequence on the yarn and matched that with the color sequence in the second ball. Using that intersection as single yarn while crocheting, I was able to continue correctly into my next sequence in the second yarn.

In the end after completing, I just weaved in the ends of the first and second ball near the intersection so that the colors disappear in the stitches. Also I undid the first extra chains (from the initial chain through the color sequence) and weaved that end and the final end as well ensuring the colors were matching. 



I didn't keep track of number of rows for the scarf, just wrapped it around my neck to get the feel of where to end. The only thing I did was to complete the whole triangle to match how I had started in the first place.

I also made 2 scarf like but shorter (1 triangle of black, 1 white triangle and 1 black triangle to the side) rectangles and then stitched them together length wise. I then closed their edges by joining them together to get cylinder. Now I just weaved through the top portion to gather it  and close it making it cone shape. I attached  one pom pom to this end and folded the other end to make the cap.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Borgello Hearts with Feathers Quilt

I saw something similar first time while looking for quilt designs. It immediately made its place in my heart.. I was eager to make this even though I had never made any quilt before, had never done any kind of free motion or even walking foot quilting but the design was so catchy that I had to make it. While looking for how to go about this I couldn't find the pattern and the place where I found I didn't trust the site. So I got my laptop out and went back to my engineering roots :) Microsoft excel was my best buddy for many days as I put numbers 1 to 16 in each row and column by looking at the quilt from the picture. Then I adjusted column width for each column to make sure the numbers start to look like heart. Conditional programmed the colors for these 1 to 16 fabrics till I could feel ok with the color combination. Read a book on borgello quilting to realize I don't have to sit and stich rectangle by rectangle. Purchasing fabrics was interesting task too.. Af

iPad Air Cover

This year when my parents arrived here, we gifted them iPad Air and we didn't expect Baba to fall in love with it. I had to either get new cover for it or just come up with something. So below is my rough diagram that I started with: I had below fabric cuts: 15.875 in x 10.5 in Inside Fabric 15.875 in x 10.5 in Outside Fabric 3 in x 10.5 in Outside Fabric 15.875 in x 10.5 in Thick double sided interfacing (2) I cut these sizes of cardboard from moving boxes 8.125 in x 10.125 in 5 in x 10.125 in 3 in x 10.125 in 0.25 in x 10.125 in I didn't measure how much white knit elastic I used but since I had it in pieces anyways I could just reuse those scraps. These are the steps I followed: On the inside fabric with right side on top, stitch elastics as shown below. I placed iPad and saw how it fits before stitching but just pinning the elastic. It should stretch elastic a little bit for snug fit. I took the 3 in wide outside fabric and folding it with right

Fireflies on the canvas

This was something I really liked for ease of making and the way it is abstract and left to interpretation. I look at this as fireflies at night and it instantly captures my attention. My favorite gift so far for to show I care :) I made multiple of these for multiple occasions but first one ever went to my sister to show her my love when she flied down here when I needed her. Making it is fairly easy and I followed instructions from Glitter and Lights Canvas